The Child Safe Program assists Surf Life Saving (SLS) in our commitment to the protection of Children and Young People (CYP) from abuse, harm and exploitation.
The program builds the capacity of SLS to protect our CYP by providing resources and education to support clubs to provide a safe environment for all members. Clubs can begin to provide a safe environment through the development and implementation of the following key strategies:
- A statement of commitment to child safety
- Implementation of the code of conduct that establishes clear expectations for appropriate behaviour when dealing with CYP
- Screening, supervision, training and other human resources practices that reduce the risk of child abuse by new and existing personnel
- Educate and inform members of the signs and indicators of child abuse
- Processes for responding to and reporting suspected child abuse
- Regular communication, awareness and promotion of the Child Safe Program
- Strategies to identify and remove risks to CYP
- Strategies to communicate and promote the participation and empowerment of CYP within the club
Child Safe Awareness Course
The Child Safe Awareness Course assists the Surf Life Saving community to build awareness and education in the protection of children and young people from all forms of abuse and exploitation. The course aims to provide participants with:
- an awareness of child abuse and child protection;
- an understanding of the Surf Life Saving Australia’s Member Protection Policy;
- and the confidence to be able to take appropriate action when they become concerned for the safety of a child.
To have this course recognised on your Surfguard record please complete the course via the SLSA Members Area.
Related Policies & Resources
- Child Safe Checklists - Club or Executive | Member or Volunteer